Sunday, February 26, 2017
YATP (Spring 2017)
Last week, the Banyan students came on Friday. I felt it was the most rewarding and successful session so far. Myself and another coordinator conducted the FitnessGram in order to measure students' aerobic capacity, muscular strength/endurance, flexibility, and body composition. I assisted the student volunteers as they worked with each Banyan student. Although most of the students were not able to complete each test, they became aware of which areas they were weak in and what they needed to work on. The goal now is to create a program for each student based on the data we collected. Dr. Laughlin has asked me to help him set up a research project based on the current and future data collected on the Wayne students. The study will be looking at the effects of an intervention on the Wayne students. There will be 5 steps: (1) create a training manual, (2) establish distinct measures, (3) measure baseline student performance, (4) train volunteers and staff using the same training manual, and (5) implement intervention and measure ongoing student performance. The goal of this project is to see if the YATP program has a long term effect on the students. My first step is to research articles and begin collecting literature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What are your thoughts on the Fitness Gram? The physical education teachers in my district tend to not like it. I like to hear other people thoughts. We also find the fitness scores are easier in the Fitness Gram, then the Presidential Fitness Challenge.
ReplyDeleteI am glade to hear everything is going well.
I'm not too familiar with the Fitness Gram. I don't think it was the best thing to use to evaluate these students. But they did seem to enjoy it.
DeleteI use the fitnessgram within my district as well to assess students on the five fitness components. I am actually sitting in on a workshop on Friday for the fitnessgram. Good luck with the preparations of their programs and if you have any questions about the test please feel free to reach out.
ReplyDeleteHi Sheena,
ReplyDeleteThat sessions seems like it was very rewarding. Have you started the research project?
-Danielle
I've starting collecting articles but more of the work will be for the fall semester.
DeleteHi Sheena,
ReplyDeleteWere there any modifications that you had to do for the students?