Friday, April 7, 2017

YATP (Spring 2017)

This week was very exciting. We had a media group come in to see the Wayne school on Thursday. They took pictures and videos of the volunteers working with the students from the Wayne school. The volunteers and coordinators were asked to talk about the program and how it has not only benefited the students but also us, coordinators, as well. Here is the article: http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/passaic/wayne/2017/04/07/gym-class-gets-wayne-special-ed-students-into-game/100072534/
The students are continuing to progress and are very enthusiastic about exercise. They look forward to coming every Tuesday and Thursday. Today for the Banyan group, we were able to go to the pool. Most of the students wanted to participate and loved being in the water. I was surprised to see how involved they were once they were in the pool. One of the students even said she felt she had a great workout after swimming. If I had to choose one word to describe how I felt about this program, it would be rewarding. Although I don't get to spend one on one time with the students, I try my best to get familiar and work with everyone. I am very lucky to be a part of this program that Dr. Laughlin started and continues to work very hard for. The research project that I had mentioned in a previous post was on display on Thursday at the Explorations event. I am excited to continue to work on this project and with this program.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheena,
    Would you one day like to implement an aquatic and exercise program for students with disabilities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like you need to know how to swim when being involved in an aquatics program! Unfortunately I don't know how to! But I would love to work with disabled students in the future and implement an exercise program! :)

      Delete